What is earlySTEMer Tech Competition?
The earlySTEMer Tech competition gives young coders (between the ages of 6 and 18 years) an opportunity to showcase their skills and creativity in this age of Technology by fixing and building code. Contestants also stand a chance to win up to ₦25,000!
One of the best ways to improve coding skills is by solving challenges. By participating in this competition, kids will get the opportunity to fix broken code and also create interesting projects. Moreover, they will get to compete with their peers
in a fun and engaging environment.
There are three (3) categories that a child can participate in, depending on their skill level:
- Beginner - Scratch topics such as sequencing, loops, condition statements, variables, cloning, etc.
- Intermediate - HTML/CSS topics such as tags/elements, formatting, images, tables, selectors, etc.
For each category, there will be two rounds:
- Qualifying round: Participants need to find and fix errors (debug) in a set of programs
- Final round: Participants that qualify from the previous round will build projects from the ground up. They will also submit a video explaining their creation.
How to participate
This is a virtual competition open to old and new paid subscribers on earlySTEMer. Participation is free but registration is required. Click HERE to register.
NOTE: Participation is restricted to ONE category per contestant.
While the goal of this competition is to foster creativity amongst children, there are also some perks for those who participate including:
- Featuring on the competition leaderboard and hall of fame
- Gaining XPs to move up the leaderboard
- Course scholarships on the earlySTEMer learning platform
There will also be prizes for the first place participants in each category:
- Beginner - ₦10,000
- Intermediate - ₦15,000
- Advanced - ₦25,000
Competition Timeline 2020
- Registration: Ends October 31, 2020
- Qualifying round: November 2nd to 4th, 2020
- Inform participants moving to the final round: November 5th and 6th, 2020
- Final round: November 7th, 2020
- Announce winners and give prizes: November 9th, 2020
Rules and Regulation
- This contest is open to kids between the ages of 6 and 18 who are old or new paid subscribers on earlySTEMer
- The contest is for individuals only; no teams allowed
- The contest is based on an honour-code system, therefore, all forms of cheating (including copying other people's code) are forbidden
- All participants that successfully complete the qualifying round will advance to the final round
- For the final round, there will be a single winner in each category. This winner will be determined based on the scoring rules.
- Please expect 3 days post competition to receive prizes
- The decision of judges is final
Each participant will have the same set of problems to fix. For each problem, there will be an expected output. If a participant fixes the problem and produces the expected output (within the required parameters), they get the point for that problem.
In the final round, participants will be required to build a project from start to finish. They will also submit a video presentation of their project. Each submission will be graded based on the following criteria:
- Creativity (30 pts): How much effort was put into the design of the project
- Completeness (30 pts): If the project is complete e.g. all parts are working correctly
- Complexity (20 pts): How advanced the project is
- Presentation (20 pts): How clearly the participant is able to explain their project
In the event of a tie, the winning contestant will be determined based on time of submission.